Monday 8 May 2017

Products - Phone cases

I have decide to apply my designs onto phone cases because it is a good and easy way for an illustrator to get an illustration onto a widely bought sellable product. I think this is a perfect setting for my designs because many print studios such as the killing tree clothing and midnight mill produce a wide range of products and phone cases are a very big part of that because there is such a big target audience for them. I haven't tried to just slap my illustrations on to a random selection of products, with this task but I have thought about the context and wether or not they are applicable or worth applying to a specific selection of products. With this, less can be more and having a small section of quality products can be more effective than having a huge range of mediocre products.


I have again applied my shamans onto a wood background texture. I think it has a much nice quality to it and really reinforces the concept of shamanism. I was originally just going to put these on either black or white plastic phone cases but then realised that with the combination of the wood textures, the prints are more well informed with a much stonger aesthetical outcome.
I really like just having the shaman print in the centre of this phone case. It seems to fit very nicely with the shape of the phone and the bright white pops right out of the redwood background with a high contest making it a more defined product. Making these mock ups is actually much easier than I thought and is allowing me to see my work as a sellable item which is giving me many new ideas and ways to approach my studies during next year.
I have been trying out some different compositions that could work with these sham prints. I actually really like the outcome of this full bleed design, even though there isn't much of the wood showing through which would have been nice, this could be the most convincing phone case mock up design. When these prints are compressed into a smaller space they can seem to have more detail which is good in this way because it makes the products more professional. This design and the green jaguar above are my favourite mock ups for the phone cases, I think they are the most convincing and therefore sellable.







I have also tried some earthy tones with the aztec shaman to try and compliment the wood colours and I have also tried a really loud and vibrant print as a mock up to try and get a very high contrast between the background and the print. I think both are successful in there own way and these sample mock ups are giving me new ways to think about the context of my practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment