Monday 8 May 2017

Printing on different texture

During this module I have been really experimental with my screen printing. I have been discovering many new ways for me to find new aesthetics which can then be put onto products. 
I have been testing the materials of which I have been printing onto, and this includes wood, different coloured paper, grey board, acetate, corrugated card, spray paint texture, hand painted space effect, dyed woo and UV paints. In doing this I have found many new ways in which I can improve on my screen printing. The different textures and media approaches are making my printing have much nicer and unique aesthetics. From this I have learnt my new skills and I have also got many more ideas about how I can take this further in next years studies.


Printing onto the plywood was easily the most difficult to print in terms of the registration. This is because the sheet of wood is slightly warped and it doesn't lay flat on the printing bed so it can move around very easily and this can become a problem when trying to line up the layers because it needs to be very precise.



The UV has been printed onto a wide range of textures to get a varied aesthetic when under black light. I wish that I had more time because I would have printed one of these UV shamans onto a t-shirt as an extra product.

Again, this simple coloured print is my second favourite print out of all of my shaman screen prints. But what makes it much nicer in my opinion is that it has been printed onto greybeard. This just makes it a much more durable print and the grey sits well with the black and white so I will be doing many more greybeard screen printing to get a nice professional outcome.


Corrugated card is a very nice texture to print onto because it can have an unpredictable outcome which can in fact turn out to be the best resolutions. My favourite print from this module has been printed onto corrugated card. I think it works especially effectively with my shamans because the rustic/weathered effects on the darker background almost make the prints have a level of authenticity to them as they are depicting ancient cultures so the weathered texture enhances the overall outcome.

I also tried printing onto some acetate. I liked the outcome of this and had ideas of layering them on different sheets but that wouldn't be very applicable to products. I tried a few different prints onto acetate and most of them ended up really messy because the ink takes up to a week to fully dry which makes it difficult to keep clean. I do think this could be further explored in future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment