Friday 13 January 2017

Studio brief 2 - T-shirt printing

For a further experiment on how I can adapt the simple astronaut design onto a product, I have decided to put the image onto a t-shirt. This is something I have never attempted to do before so I was slightly skeptical on how they would turn out. Ive had to use a fabric screen rather than a paper screen and this is because the mesh is slightly wider on the fabric screen so the design can flood right into the material.


Ive also taken the colour smudge effect onto the t-shirt design, I think this effect really enhances the image and creates a more spacey atmosphere, especially with the colour combination of vibrant pink and black, the contrast creates a certain depth rather than the image just being one solid block colour.
Some of the t-shirt prints came out a lot more grainy and had textures from the fabric. Although I didn't intend on the designs looking like this I think it adds a new quality to some specific t-shirts. At this stage I am just getting to know the whole process of printing onto products so everything is slightly unpredictable but so far I am really pleased with how I have taken a simple design and through the process of sceenprinting and colour blending I have turned it into a potential sellable product.
These are some colour variations I have done for the t-shirt designs I have tried a combination of pink and black and turquoise and pink, I think both colour variations work effectively. One thing I have learned with the colour smudge effect is that each print is completely unique meaning that some come out better than others but the fact that not one print is the same could be a potential selling point as most people would like a unique/original piece of clothing.
I also included a smaller astronaut print onto the front of each t-shirt but kept it to just one colour, pink or black. All the colour smudge effects are on the back of the t-shirt and just one colour on the front, I have done this because the smaller astronaut looks more clear and crisp with just being one colour instead of the smudge effect and it separates the front design from the back.
An annoying part of the colour smudge effect is that the screen quickly gets filled with unwanted merged colour that becomes one tone, so the screen has to be completely pressed out of ink and then the fresh colours need to be applied after 2-3 prints. This can really slow the printing process down but for the result of the print I would say its worth the time. 
A good thing to note is that within this project I have basically taught myself how to do single layer t-shirt print, and that involves the whole process from creating the positive to heat pressing the ink so it cures onto the fabric and completely solidifies. This has given me much to think about within my own practice and how I can make work that is finally sellable. Soon I would like to consider the possibilities of multiple layer t-shirt designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment