Monday 9 January 2017

Studio brief 2 (Print) Screenprint workshop

For the screenprinting workshop, I have used the drawing from one of my final editorial designs.
I have chosen this design because I want my prints to include astronauts and also I wanted to see how much line quality screenprinting can pick up from my drawings. This positive has been made from a scanned drawing and edited brightness levels and contrast to get solid black line ready to be exposed in the light box.


As we have a two colour restriction I just wanted to create this screenprint in quite a simple way. The shapes above has been drawn around the astronauts and will be one bold colour that surrounds the line based drawings. I wanted to combine both shape and line within this screeprint experiment. I like the idea of using a pink/purple back drop for the astronauts, I feel like certain pink and purple tones can be related to a cosmos/spacey theme.



The final print did not come out how I was expecting. This is because I had exposed my positives in the new LED lightbox but then scrubbed the screen with a sponge instead of just rinsing with water, that is what has caused all of the unwanted noise and dotted texture all over the image. As this was only a test for a workshop I wasn't to concerned about the noise and had no time to re-expose my design so I just printed it anyway. Some people actually liked the texture that was created but i know it would have looked alot better without it. Atleast I have now leant how to use the new LED exposure unit without ruining my positives. I am not letting this outcome change my view on screenprinting because i think it is my favourite process of printing I have just learnt from my mistake with the exposing and rinsing. I will defiantly be making more screenprints for this project, without the distortion I think the linework could have been quite effective so I will continue to explore this.

No comments:

Post a Comment