Wednesday 11 January 2017

Studio brief 2 (Print) More lino

Before moving onto a new design or a new process of print I thought I could somehow stretch out what could be achieved with these mini astronaut prints. So my idea was to print them multiple times overlapping each other.

 This was my first test of this idea. All of these have been printed by hand which has created a nice grainy texture. I like this random printing process Its really quite fun and the outcome reminds me of some sort of wall paper design. The white boarder has been created just with a cut out square piece of paper to cut off all the astronauts into a square shape.


 After the hand pressed version of the overlapping astronaut prints, my next step was to do the same but run it through the lino press. Each time I printed the astronauts I didnt re-ink them so there is a nice gradient from boldness to textured. I also brought in the blue and pink as a colour combination to this, for some reason I have taken a genuine liking to the colour combination of pink and blue. This idea of not using black in my prints is becoming a certainty, there is much more that can be achieved by using two colours.

Just out of curiosity I have tried combining another colour combination of green and black. I quite like the outcome but I think the use of pink and blue is much more effective in this style of overlapping print. No black will be used in my final outcomes.
This is what was left over from the overlapping print process, normally I would throw something like this away but I thought it would be good to try and put it to use somehow even though it goes over the colour restriction.
This was my idea, to have two simple astros in pure white space but surrounded by chaotic colour and texture. I was actually quite pleased with this I think I could push this idea slightly further with reducing the colours down and maybe having a colour fade across the floating astronauts. But for now it is time to move onto screenprinting this shape astronaut to see what I can do with different colour variations.


This is a collection of my lino printed designs. I think they are starting to look well as a collective of images. I had also tried printing my lino astronaut onto an old t-shirt to see what it would look like, I really like how it turned out and I think I will come back to this idea of placing the design onto a product but maybe with screenprinting as it will be a better finish on the fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment