Tuesday 10 January 2017

Studio brief 2 (Print) Lino testing 3

These are the two astronaut shape designs that I have cut from lino. I really enjoyed creating these and I love the entire process of hand carving and crafting the lino. I also have taken a reverse approach to these two and instead of being contained in a square, they are single floating images. I think in designing them in this way it makes them more diverse in what can be achieved.

This is the plain black printed version of my lino carved astronaut. I think I have surprised myself a little with this and it has come out really clean with pretty crisp lines. I think this shape and design works much better than my first one so there has definitely been an improvement, the shape has been more refined. This to me looks almost like it could be printed onto other
things as a logo design, maybe i will take this further and try printing onto a t-shirt.


Some colour samples of my astronaut logo design. I have become really fond of the colour fade especially in the pink, It makes the design look much more vibrant and unique. It could work better in some form of context (logo) with a spacey colour fade rather than just being plain black like a lot of lino prints are. I have also just had the idea of taking this shape based design into a screenprint, the outcome could be even more effective than a lino print.


I think pink and blue could be a very effective colour combination if im not going to be using black.
These are basically negatives of each other but I think they work well when placed together. I think I have managed to achieve the effect of an astronaut floating in space, the shape and position really shows this. I still really prefer the vignette over the square cut, there is more that can be achieved with it and I also think it works better as a colour fade.

These are my three lino cut astronaut designs. I originally thought that the centre design that is more complex and detailed would be the most effective but now I think different. Ive gained a lot by simplifying and reducing, the simple shape astronaut on the left is my favourite, when I first considered my prints and how they would look I never imagined that they would be simple block shapes. The process of lino has helped me to reduce and refine and I really want to continue working in this way its like taking a step backwards from my usual work but also a step forward into new ways of thinking about image making.

No comments:

Post a Comment