Monday 9 January 2017

Studio brief 2 - Back to sketches

After the printing workshops I now have a fresh memory of the print processes, so my first idea was to go back to the sketchbook to try and rethink my initial designs and take into consideration the method of print and how i can use shape line and textures to my advantage. Im also thinking about the layering of colour to create certain effects and the possibility of using halftones in my screenprinting.



Through my thumbnails im trying to get a wide range of possible ideas at the moment I am pretty stuck as to wether I should have astronaut prints or have planets included or some sort of spacecraft, I also want to bring some psychedelic features into the print somehow so the designs have a trippyness about them, whether that is in the aesthetic of the design or if there are some objects that would be trippy by nature, such as the eyeball planet design, I like that and may take it further for another screenprint test. I also need to try and figure out how my prints will work as a set of five.

photocopying has been proven useful when it comes to fleshing out multiple design variations of an image. With the process of screenprinting in mind I have produced these tests. I like the idea of combining detailed line quality with simple block shapes of colour and these tests have made it faster and easier to imagine a final outcome. Having blocks of geometric shapes printed over the astronaut could work effectively and the geometric shapes would give it more of a link to Carl Sagan.

I like the idea of having an astronaut that is dripping or melting away, with two colours this could be a nice trippy printed design but it is still quite unpredictable as to how it would look as a screenprint.
If im making one design trippy then all of the other design must have the same feel or aesthetic to them. At the moment I have alot of ideas on how I could make the images but they may not necessarily work as a set so I need to narrow my ideas down and chose one or two themes that i can further develop.
The image above on the left could work well as a screenprinted design, I may take this further I just need to figure out how to include two colours into this.
I also like the idea of having a set of astronauts in space but doing completely normal things such as eating, chilling, skating, playing golf or taking a selfie. This could work well as a complete set rather than just individual images.

Its hard to see with this small drawing but this has given me an idea that I am going to test with screenprinting. It will be an astronaut that has a pink and blue layer that are slightly offset I am aiming for the image to have a sort of 3d/glitch effect plus I always use black in my artwork and for this I am trying to not use any black as it will make me think about how i can combine colours more to create a different aesthetic on the prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment