Sunday 16 April 2017

Nottingham post design competition

Out of all of the design competitions that I searched for I thought that this one was by far the most open. This is for a creative design competition held by nottingham post and is a chance for local artists to enter a competition where the winners can receive a cash prize of £2500 and have there work showcased on a billboard in nottingham city centre. The only requirements for this competition is that the artist\designer would send a photograph of the work that has been created for the competition with no theme or subject and is completely open. A photograph of yourself with a short description of the art also had to be submitted as part of the competition requirements.  This is the perfect opportunity to make a big painting in my own personal style as no other brief I looked at would allow for me to do this.

I am aiming to make this a big A1 sized psychedelic painting, because the winners work will be showcased on a billboard it only makes sense to do a big scale piece, plus I haven't ever painted this big so I am trying to push and explore new possibilities with my practice.

Ive had thoughts on making this psychedelic painting in the same style in how I did my skateboard with lots of vibrant colours and objects to make a fun and busy composition. This could be a very eye catching piece especially due to the scale. Plus working in that way seems to have the best response from viewers so I feel like I should be continuing to develop that sale as much as I can.



Im just trying to figure out some different compositions and how objects can be arranged within my canvas size and format. I think I will definitely be including my psychedelic character into this, the same one that I used for the skateboard designs but only this new one will have more detail and should be more refined. The more I develop the psy character the more it is refined.

I have had a thought of reducing the busyness of this painting down slightly and focus more on the psychedelic character rather than filling the page with random objects and colour. Like I did on my screen printed skateboard design I am just going to focus on the character and the energy.
Ive had an idea of giving the character a tentacle for a tongue. Each time the character is drawn/painted I need to be making improvements So bringing new and trippy elements to the character should enhance his aesthetic.

Final rough. I have also realised that I don't need to make detailed roughs or spend a lot of time in my sketch phase. I feel like it is much more efficient for me and my practice to just use roughs for basic composites and then immediately bring it to a finalised image, This means I get to spend more time making the actual artwork rather than spending to long trying to figure it out.


Translating a small rough sketch into a big drawing wasn't easy because I've never drawn to this scale but I am happy with the outcome of the characters face. My original plan for this was to paint the whole image using paint pens but after thinking about it and considering options I thought that it was time to try a different approach. The big areas of colour for this will be applied with spray paint, it will get a more consistent and flat colour that will make the painting more graphic which is what I am trying to achieve.

Some of the smaller areas of paint can be applied using paint pens aswel. The use of spray paint and paint pens work very well with each other because they have a very similar finished quality.

The spay paint has now been applied, and it has been so much faster and easier with a better finish than what paint pens could ever achieve. I have used stencils and a lot of making to get the colours placed into the correct shapes ready for me to apply the black lines of detail on top to pop the image and separate the colour. for the detail I will be using a range of black paint pens. 




This is potentially my favourite piece I have created since being on this course. I have had a lot of fun  with the stencilling and spray painting which is a new skill I've now learned that can be put to other pieces like this. Ive collected a range of my recent work and complied it into this painting, the trippy character, the space effect background and the third eye energy. These are all elements within my work that I wish to continue to further explore and develop and bring in new elements as it progresses. I am defiantly looking at making more of these big sized paintings in my own personal practice, maybe even up to the size of a mural at some point. During the summer I will consider this as a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment