Tuesday 1 March 2016

Texture

For this studio task, the objective was was to explore the possibilities of creating a figure through using various textures. Using shape and texture can be a very effective way of making images and illustrations. The first part of this task was to experiment different mark making tools on big sheets of paper to see what materials and media can be used to create interesting textures.
Once the big sheets of paper was covered with random textures, made up of media such as paint, inc and graphite, we then had to create a portrait using these random textures. I decided to create a face of the different textures but by using the negative space created by the face. I like the idea behind the method by using texture and negative space to create the shape, but I dont think this particular piece has been effective with the craftsmanship and I will consider the same concept in the future but execute it more effectively.
This was another image I made during the studio texture task. The idea was to create ourselves and the clothing we were wearing out of shape and texture. Using the samples from the big sheets of experimented texture I then created this portrait. This one has bit more character than the other piece and I think it works more effectively. Texture is a great way of introducing new aspects to an illustration and can really bring a piece to life. I will continue to develop the uses of different texture throughout my work.
After the studio task I then went away and tried to create my own piece using different textures. I decided that I was going to do zombies so I sketched out some initial  designs for the composition. The other day in the studio I seen someone using brusho inc and I thought that it looked like a great way to explore some different uses of texture. I have got these textures in my sketchbook by randomly sprinkling the powdered inc onto my paper and then slightly wetting the page with water droplets so the inc bleeds and merges. The effects can be very nice and I will uses this to create textures within the zombie faces.
This is the zombie piece created using different textures of brusho inc. I think it has worked quite well and the textures created in the zombie figures really help show the decay and lifelessness of the undead. No pencil or pen would be able to get this effect and I think these kind of tasks are really helping me realise that there is an infinite ways of making and image or illustration and restricting myself to basic media is only restricting my development as an illustrator.
I wanted to create an image from shape and texture using negative space, and here it is. The shape I have used for this is from the cutout shape of the red zombie on the image above. When I cut out the shape I realised that the negative space of this shape could be utilised. I then used more brusho Inc to then create a random texture. I then stuck down the white paper on top of the brusho texture to create the shape of the figure. I really like this piece, It looks like it could be used for an album cover. Learning about shape and texture has really helped me to see illustration from a wider perspective and I am eager to pursue my work from a new light with the possibilities of exploring more media.

No comments:

Post a Comment