Tuesday 15 May 2018

MF Doom


This brief has been given to me by an up and coming urban brand from London named White Lotus. The brief was pretty simple, they wanted me to produce a logo design for the brand and I was instructed to create the hip hop artist MF Dooms mask in a colourful psychedelic style. The original idea for this design was to be put onto a range of hoodies to help promote the name of the brand and to also have an illustrated colourful design on the clothing instead of just having the original logo. I thought this was a great way for me to start working with newly formed bands that can help make my work more noticed.









This is the final image of the MF Doom mask. Using paint pens has really aided me in acquiring a visual signature that can put a colourful and psychedelic twist onto something that originally doesn't feature much colour. I was told to make the design trippy so the colour choice was an essential part of this. By combining pastels and neon ive tried to create a balanced image, also with knowing that this is to be printed onto hoodies I had to make sure it was to a professional level and the colours and line work are to be well considered and well crafted. Having both the qualities of a hand made design and digital enhancements makes a more effective logo, this is why working other artists and designers with more digital capabilities can help to elevate my own work to a different level of aesthetics.


White lotus photography



Once I had sent the design, it was then turned into a vector image so that it could be enlarged without loosing quality. This is an important part of the printing process that will make the clothing(hoodies) have a more professional aesthetic. Aesthetic is vital when branding a product especially in an increasing saturated market. The combination of quality artwork and photography allows better chances of effective branding of products.



Photo in london


Photo in Japan
It is very exciting to see my work being featured in different countries around the world. This is starting to help me understand where my artwork can exist in industry.  
Working with clothing companies and brands is a good direction for me to apply my illustrations which will enable me to communicate the concept of psychedelia to the world.
Communicating this concept is a very big part of my practice and I now know that I will be keeping this consistent both aesthetically and conceptually.


After doing this I have been inspired to start thinking about creating my own brand that will be primarily based around clothing. This is going to be my new personal project for experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment