Tuesday 18 October 2016

Studio task 1 Zine sketches and development

Ive had a good look at Neil Gaimans work and authorship. I think the concepts surrounding his writing are very interesting and could be potentially illustrated in many different ways. Many of his fictional stories have core concepts surrounding the supernatural and dream realms. I personally find these very fascinating and quite abstract that could inspire me to create some quite dark and trippy artwork.
This is Neil Gaimans most famous of all characters (the sandman) also known as dream and many other names. I really like the way Gaimans characters have been visualised by comic artist Sam Keith. The style in which they have been drawn is very dark and sinister but this is perfect portrayal of the characters as the stories themselves are very dark.
 Although I find Neil Gaimans work very interesting and I think there is alot of scope as the themes and concepts are quite abstract, I think I will choose another author for this brief because many of his pieces of writings have already been illustrated and visualised so i think it will be hard to come up with a completely original idea without being too influenced by existing artwok.

Carl sagan the astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist and astrobiologist. Also famous for the hit U.S tv show Cosmos and dedication in search for extraterrestrial life. Carl Sagans work for me is incredibly interesting that is based around a very wide and open theme (space and the universe)
from studying carl sagan and watching various interviews and episodes of the cosmos, I think I have discovered the author I will be studying for this project. I have always been completely fascinated by what is beyond the earths atmosphere so im glad I am getting the opportunity to explore this theme within my illustrations.
This is a little test piece I have done to try and create a cosmic background that could be used in one of my pages for the zine. Using a black paper background and acrylic paint I have attempted to create a simple texture to suggest space and the universe.


As this is only a mini task I have decided to do a few roughs of potential page ideas for the zine. I havent fleshed out too may ideas for this as i dont think it is completely needed. I have a few ideas for the images that are going to be included so I am just going to refine these initial sketches.







No comments:

Post a Comment