Wednesday 19 October 2016

Studio Brief 1 Astronauts and Karl Kopinski

I have been following this Artist Karl Kopinski on Instagram for a while now and I have always admired his work and how he sketches his characters. He seems to do a lot of space themed/astronaut sketches so I figured he would be perfect to take reference from whilst studying the form of an astronaut. I may be drawing many astronauts over the corse of this project so I want to understand the  shapes more. 

I really like this sketch of an astronaut in a space craft. The unfinished line marks and washed pen gives the drawing more depth and a certain quality that I would like to incorporate into my designs.


Drawing an object on repeat for me is maybe the most effective way of understanding the astronauts form. I have done some continuous line drawings here not for detail but to capture the shapes and angles of an astronaut.

These are some more refined sketches of the astronauts. I am quite pleased with the outcome I think the shapes and angles of the space suit have been drawn quite well. however I have been focusing a lot on line within these sketches and whilst understanding the form is important I may need to reduce them down and maybe focus on a texture and shape rather than line.

No comments:

Post a Comment