Sunday 15 November 2015

Do judge a book by its cover (Final and Evaluation)

Completed design of wrap around book cover
This is the unedited version of my final book cover design.
This is the Photoshopped version of my book cover with type included and adjustments to the levels and contrast to make a more professional and convincing outcome.


Final book cover design wrapped around existing book, edited and printed.



EVALUATION

In my opinion this has been the best project so far. I think I made a good decision on which book to design a cover for as it gave me the opportunity to draw a wide range of characters in the realm of monsters. The core concept of the book 'On Monsters' is about the fears and monsters that we create in our own mind and how society and culture can shape and manipulate our perception of the unknown. This as a concept is quite abstract and at first was difficult to imagine a book cover that represents this idea, however through the process of producing roughs and research I was able to bring together my own ideas. I have found that sketching as many roughs as possible is a very effective way to work out the best design composition for any piece of illustration. I was very pleased with my final design and I enjoyed every moment of producing it. For this design I think it was best for me to stick to my most comfortable media and used a range of pens to complete this cover. I did however in my last evaluation suggest experimenting different media but I think the black and white represents the concept well. If i were to go back and change any part of my final design I think it would be to use a brush pen and not fine-liners when adding ink to the drawing, this is because I have found that using fine-liners it is easy to make a drawing look quite flat and static as the line thickness does not vary where as using a brush the lines become more unique and organic.

No comments:

Post a Comment